Marriott Bonvoy is the resort loyalty program of alternative for a lot of Canadians, each for resort bookings and for its flexibility to switch to an enormous number of airline companions.
Since merging with Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Bonvoy has joined the ranks of applications that run frequent promotions on buying factors immediately from this system.
Marriott Bonvoy has now launched their newest promotion for anybody trying to increase their factors steadiness in preparation for summer season journey and past.
Buy Marriott Bonvoy Points with a 50% Bonus
Marriott Bonvoy is providing a bonus on factors purchases till October 13, 2022. Rather than their regular tiered bonuses, it seems that the usual provide throughout the board is for a 50% bonus once you purchase at the least 2,000 factors.
This is a strong provide, and it’s one of many higher ones we’ve seen from Marriott lately.
Typically, Marriott fees 1.25 cents per level (USD) to purchase immediately from this system. With a 50% bonus, the speed improves to 0.83 cents per level (USD).
Buying Bonvoy factors at this charge is simply barely above our present valuation of 0.7 cents per Bonvoy level (USD).
We’ve seen Marriott go as excessive as 60% on these promotions earlier than, however we don’t know if/when that bonus would possibly return. So, if you should purchase factors, now’s nearly as good of a time as any.
How many Marriott Bonvoy factors can you purchase?
Since 2021, Marriott Bonvoy has imposed a restrict of 100,000 factors bought per calendar 12 months, up from 50,000 beforehand.
This restrict contains factors bought for your self, plus factors you obtain that had been bought and gifted by others. Previously bought factors do depend in the direction of the restrict.
If you max out this promotion, it’ll value $1,250 (USD) for 150,000 Bonvoy factors.
Which bank card do you have to use to purchase Marriott Bonvoy factors?
Marriott sells factors by an exterior vendor, Points.com. They don’t depend as a journey buy, and there’s no further profit to utilizing a co-branded Amex Marriott Bonvoy card issued in Canada or the US.
Instead, I’d counsel any card with a excessive base earn charge, or one the place you’re engaged on assembly the minimal spend requirement.
Because the acquisition is charged in USD, you would possibly think about using a Canadian-issued card with no international alternate charges, or any US bank card.
Who Should Buy Marriott Bonvoy Points?
Buying factors generally is a good strategy to top-up your account in case you’re eager to make a redemption quickly.
Booking a High-Value Aspirational Hotel
The Marriott Bonvoy portfolio accommodates a few of the most distinctive resort manufacturers on this planet, together with Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, and EDITION, amongst others.
With sky-high money costs, reserving on factors can deliver these experiences inside attain, despite the demise of the Marriott Bonvoy award chart.
The better of the very best go for 80,000–120,000 factors per night time. Compare that to the money worth on the Luxury Collection’s Al Maha Desert Resort Dubai, which may simply exceed $1,600 (CAD) per night time!
At a money worth of $875 (USD) for 105,000 factors (with the present 50% bonus), which might be sufficient for an evening at Al Maha on many dates, it positively is smart to purchase factors as a substitute of pay money if a luxurious reserving is in your radar.
Or if the desert isn’t your type, you could possibly take pleasure in decadence on the JW Marriott Maldives. Even with “relatively” extra cheap costs below $1,000 (CAD) per night time, a factors reserving continues to be the best way to go.
Of course, you’ll wish to make sure you’ve lined up the award availability on the resort earlier than pulling the set off on a factors buy, particularly in case you’re making an attempt to maximise the fifth-night-free profit.
Quick Top-Up for Any Upcoming Redemption
For travellers with extra humble style, the highest finish of the Marriott Bonvoy chart isn’t the one place to search out good worth.
At the top of the day, so long as the worth of your redemption is above the acquisition value of 1 cent per level (USD), you’ll come out forward on any reserving.
For instance, on the decrease finish, the Courtyard Phnom Penh provides higher worth on factors that with money. You can discover dates below 10,000 factors per night time on the PointSavers charge. Against a nightly money worth of $118, an 8,000-point reserving is a price of 1.5 cents per level (CAD).
However, in comparison with aspirational properties, the worth proposition in shopping for Bonvoy factors for lower-end redemptions is much less clear-cut. It’s closely depending on discovering a discrepancy between the money worth and the factors worth, and that may typically be onerous to foretell.
Therefore, since Bonvoy factors are moderately straightforward to earn anyway, I’d advocate exhausting the cheaper sources first earlier than shopping for factors outright.
Transfer to Exclusive Airline Partners
Marriott Bonvoy has over 40 airline companions. For most applications, Bonvoy factors could be transferred to airline miles at a charge of three:1, with a 5,000-mile bonus for transferring in increments of 60,000 Bonvoy factors.
By shopping for Bonvoy factors at 0.83 cent per level (USD) and transferring to frequent flyer applications, you’re successfully buying airline miles for 2 cents per mile (USD).
This is definitely fairly costly, however the actual profit is getting access to unique airways.
For instance, Singapore Airlines doesn’t make First Class award area bookable for companion applications like Aeroplan. Usually, you may solely e-book Singapore Suites with their very own KrisFlyer loyalty program.
And with few switch companions in Canada (HSBC Rewards is the one different one), Marriott Bonvoy can present a uncommon gateway to pattern this luxury expertise.
Other area of interest switch companions embrace Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan for its distinctive partner-based candy spots, ANA Mileage Club for its beneficiant round-the-world award ticket, Korean Air SKYPASS for Korean Air First Class, or another airline loyalty program with a weaker footprint within the bank card business.
Multi-Player Mode: Pool Points Among the Family
One of Marriott Bonvoy’s biggest strengths lies within the capacity to switch factors freely between accounts. Each member could ship as much as 100,000 factors per calendar 12 months, and obtain as much as 500,000 factors per calendar 12 months.
If you’ve got Marriott Bonvoy Elite standing on the first account in your family, it’s ideally suited to pool your factors within the elite member’s account to make bookings, particularly for high-end properties the place the perks of resort standing actually shine.
Once you’ve hit your factors buy cap in your principal account, you should buy extra factors on one other account to make the most of any remaining switch room. Note that members have to be enrolled for 30 days and have some exercise on their account earlier than they’re eligible to buy factors.
Other Ways to Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
Marriott Bonvoy has moved to dynamic pricing in 2022, so it may be a dangerous proposition to commit cash to their loyalty program in case you aren’t imminently planning a reserving.
If you aren’t in a rush to amass Bonvoy factors however wish to slowly construct your steadiness for an even bigger redemption down the highway, I’d advocate bank card alternatives first.
Canadian Credit Cards by American Express
American Express points two co-branded Marriott Bonvoy playing cards in Canada:
- American Express Marriott Bonvoy Card: Earn 70,000 Bonvoy factors upon spending $3,000 within the first three months, with an annual payment of $120. Earn an extra 10,000 Bonvoy factors with 5x on eats and drinks for the primary six months, as much as $2,000. This brings the overall present welcome bonus to 80,000 Bonvoy factors.
- American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card: Earn 70,000 Bonvoy factors upon spending $3,000 within the first three months, plus 5x on gasoline, eating, and journey as much as $2,000 within the first six months, with an annual payment of $150. This brings the overall present welcome bonus to 80,000 Bonvoy factors.
At 0.15–0.19 cents per level (CAD), the annual charges on each playing cards symbolize extraordinarily beneficial acquisition prices in comparison with in the present day’s valuation of 0.9 cents per level (CAD).
American Express Membership Rewards will also be transferred to Marriott Bonvoy at a charge of 1:1.2. All MR-earning playing cards good choices; nevertheless, the next present the very best return on annual charges:
- American Express Gold Rewards Card: Earn as much as 75,000 MR factors within the first 12 months, with a web annual payment of $150 (CAD).
- Converted to Marriott Bonvoy, this turns into 90,000 Bonvoy factors.
- With the present 25% switch bonus, this turns into 112,500 Bonvoy factors.
- American Express Business Gold Rewards Card: Earn as much as 115,000 MR factors within the first 12 months, with an annual payment of $199 (CAD).
- Converted to Marriott Bonvoy, this turns into 138,000 Bonvoy factors.
- With the present 25% switch bonus, this turns into 172,500 Bonvoy factors.
- American Express Business Edge Card: Earn as much as 77,000 MR factors within the first 12 months, with an annual payment of $99 (CAD).
- Converted to Marriott Bonvoy, this turns into 92,400 Bonvoy factors.
- With the present 25% switch bonus, this turns into 115,500 Bonvoy factors.
- Choice Card by American Express: Earn 10,000 MR factors upon spending $1,000 (CAD) within the first three months, with no annual payment.
- Converted to Marriott Bonvoy, this turns into 12,000 Bonvoy factors.
- With the present 25% switch bonus, this turns into 15,000 Bonvoy factors.
After transferring factors to Bonvoy, the annual charges symbolize acquisition prices under 0.2 cents per level (CAD). Indeed, the entire above playing cards provide good worth for the Marriott Bonvoy program.
US Credit Cards by American Express & Chase
South of the border, American Express points two co-branded Marriott Bonvoy playing cards:
- American Express US Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card: Earn 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors upon spending $5,000 (USD) within the first three months, with an annual payment of $650 (USD) (offset by a $300 (USD) complete annual eating credit score).
- American Express US Marriott Bonvoy Bevy Card: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors upon spending $4,000 (USD) within the first three months, with an annual payment of $250 (USD).
- American Express US Marriott Bonvoy Business Card: Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors upon spending $4,000 (USD) within the first three months, with an annual payment of $125 (USD).
In addition, Chase has additionally partnered with the resort chain, providing two co-branded private playing cards on the Visa community:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card: Earn 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors upon spending $2,000 (USD) within the first three months, with no annual payment.
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Card: Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy factors upon spending $3,000 (USD) inside the first three months, with an annual payment of $95 (USD).
All of the above playing cards are fairly compelling when you think about the annual Free Night Awards you earn.
Also, remember the fact that in case you’ve acquired the welcome bonus on an Amex US Marriott Bonvoy card inside the final 24 months, you’re not eligible for the Chase provides, and vice versa.
So though there are various methods to earn Bonvoy factors from US bank cards, you’ll have to decide on only one that fits you greatest within the brief time period.
As you determine whether or not this promotion is an effective alternative so that you can meet your journey targets, right here’s a glance again at Marriott Bonvoy’s previous bonuses on buying factors:
50% extra bought factors
25% extra bought factors
35–55% extra bought factors
45% extra bought factors
55% extra bought factors
With so many different methods to gather Marriott Bonvoy factors, I wouldn’t rush to speculatively purchase factors at 0.83 cents per level (USD).
But if you should push your steadiness over the hump for a dream redemption that has gotten dearer with dynamic pricing, this promotion is a strong strategy to make it occur.
Consider loading up with a 50% bonus – money charges at top-tier properties are astronomical, and factors bookings are solely getting additional out of attain as nicely, so don’t let the chance cross you by.
Make positive to buy Marriott Bonvoy factors earlier than October 13, 2022 to make the most of this provide in case you’re .